Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oscar Nominations: Superfluous

Oscar season is in full swing, and I always, or typically, catch them when they're on. After all the nominations were announced, I was a bit surprised to find out that nine movies made the Best Picture category, which, in my opinion, isn't really all that necessary. Nine pictures is superfluous, much like how information in technical documents can be superfluous. I guess in the entertainment industry, they're a bit nominating happy to get nine of them in a single category.
When they describe the films for best picture, I like to see how short and sweet the synopses or premises are for them. Whomever has to do it presents a scant glimpse of the picture. It's a mental exercise in shortening language to optimize the language/meaning ratio.

No comments:

Post a Comment